Last Updated on December 14, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Cabbage Foogath – Goan Vegetable Stir Fry is a quick and easy side dish infused with fresh ginger. A perfect compliment to any meal!
I am loving this exploration into the variety of Indian regional cuisine I am inspired to do, on behalf of my BM themes. This week I will be focusing on the food of Goa. Goa is one of my favorite Indian cuisines, with their Portuguese influenced spicy flavors and abundant use of fish and seafood, due to their coastal location. I have already made several Goan recipes on this blog, including a complete Goan Thali here.
Although I have decided to use cabbage, foogath can be made with other vegetables also. Green beans is another common variety of foogath. A foogath is basically a dry curry made with a lot of coconut.
This type of quick stir fry is popular in many Indian states, especially in South India. Let’s have a look at some other quick Indian stir fries.
Indian Vegetarian Stir Fries
IN THE MAKING
This is so quick and easy and tasted delicious with Goan Poee
Cabbage Foogath – Goan Vegetable Stir Fry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal split black lentils
- 5 curry leaves
- 2 green chiles split
- 1 1/2 cups Napa cabbage sliced (you can use any variety of cabbage - green cabbage or Savoy is fine as well)
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas defrosted
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1/2 cup frozen grated coconut defrosted (or freshly grated coconut)
- salt to taste
- In a large skillet or a wok, heat oil. Add mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add the urad dal, curry leaves and chile. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add cabbage, peas, ginger paste and salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut and cook another 5 minutes.
…linking to Winter Foods,