Last Updated on May 18, 2021 by Chef Mireille
I am not a big fan of Microwave Cooking. I generally only use it to reheat food. Microwaves give off radiation and uses radiation to warm up the food.
Drained into my head from a child, my Mom always screams at me to this day if I stand in front of the microwave while it is on. She is a nurse and she is always warning me of the direct radiation that your body is getting when you do this. Even though she has one, she only uses it when she really needs to. If she has time, she warms up her food the old fashioned way on the stove.
However, even with this knowledge, I can’t deny the modern convenience and time saving that the microwave is. For busy working parents, it definitely is a necessity. Baked potato is one of the very few things I use my microwave for, other than warming up food. An hour in the oven is reduced to about 12 minutes in the microwave.
When I decided to do this theme of Kid’s Delight, I went back to my Nursery Chef days and decided to show you what were the kid’s favorites….where leftovers were non existent. Melted cheese over anything is a kid favorite – why do you think Pizza is a kid favorite worldwide? Melted cheese over nutritious broccoli and potato is a sure way to get them to eat every bite.
How to make Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- Cook potatoes in the microwave.
- Make Cheese Sauce.
- Cook the broccoli in the microwave.
- To serve, split the potatoes.
- Add the broccoli and then the cheese sauce on top.
- Sprinkle a little chive on top.
Of course, if they’ve never eaten baked potato before, you will have to show them how to spoon it out of the skin, so they do not eat the shell.
At the nursery school, even the 2 year olds were able to do this, once taught.
Some may say I am being hypocritical because first I warn your about the health hazards of microwaves and then I show you a recipe that utilizes the microwave, like anything in life – all things in moderation. I am not one of those hard line advocates that say you should get rid of the microwave, but I do think you should try to limit your use of it, if possible.
Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- 4 potatoes
- 1 cup broccoli chopped
- Prick potatoes with a fork around the whole potato. Most microwaves have a baked potato button. Place potato in microwave and press this button. Even though my microwave prompts me with how many potatoes, I still find I have to run the baked potato button twice. For two potatoes, it went for two cycles of 5 minutes and 45 seconds.
- Meanwhile, let's make the cheese sauce.
- In a saucepan, cook butter and flour until you have a light colored roux.
- Add 1 cup of the milk and cook on low heat, stirring constantly until the roux has been completely dissolved; about 2 minutes. Add the rest of the milk, cheese and paprika.
- Cook, stirring constantly until all the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- When the potato is done, put the broccoli in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Cut the potato in half lengthwise. Sprinkle with a little salt and with a fork, break up the potato a little bit.
- Add a little broccoli on top and press into the potato using the back of a spoon.
- Then pour the cheese sauce on top.
- Sprinkle a little chive on top.
Don’t forget to visit the RECIPE INDEX with over 1000 recipes from around the world including lots of Vegetarian Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes!