Last Updated on January 13, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Blackberry Muesli is a healthy protein breakfast that is low in fat – the perfect way to energize you to start your day.
Muesli (sometimes called Bircher) is a breakfast that was developed around 1900 by a Swiss doctor, Maximilian Bircher-Brenner, for his patients. It is an oats based meal that can include any variety of fruits, nuts and seeds and can be made with either milk or fruit juice.
It became popular in the rest of Europe and America in the 1960’s when an interest in healthy eating started to become popular. There are now many brands in the markets that produce packaged muesli. However, it is so easy to make yourself and completely customizable according to your own preferences. It is a fiber and fruit packed bowl of goodness that will give you the energy to boost your day into high gear.
Here are some other healthy oat based breakfasts you can start the day with!
Oatmeal Breakfast Recipes
IN THE MAKING – HOW TO MAKE BLACKBERRY MUESLI
a healthy & delicious high fiber, low fat breakfast
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 5 pitted dates chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 apple peeled, cored and grated
- 2 1/2 cups lowfat milk you can use whole milk, but using low fat milk makes it an even more low fat meal
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds/ pepitas
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 30 blackberries
- 3 tablespoons of honey optional
- 6 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- In a large container, combine oats, oat bran, dates, dried cherries, raisins, apple and milk. Stir to combine, cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Most of the milk will have been absorbed. The oats will now be soft and palatable.
- Place 1 cup of the muesli in each bowl. Place 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt on top of each serving. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the honey on top, if using (the fruit provide a lot of sweetness - I found it tasted just fine when I omitted the honey as well). Sprinkle 1 tablespoon each of the pumpkin seeds and the almonds. Top with 10 of the berries.
If you would like your muesli drier, you can reduce the milk quantity to 2 cups.
Super nutritious and delicious breakfast..Yummy…….
My Monthly Event – Spotlight : "Valentine's Treat"
Healthy and delicious breakfast.
Love to start my day with this tempting muesli.
Healthy one .. looks delicious.
Event: New U – 2013
Nutritious Breakfast! Yummy. Thnx for linking it up
very delicious and very healthy breakfast!! Thanks for linking it to my event!! Looking for more yummy recipes!!
Ongoing Event – Tried and Tasted – Raks Kitchen
Ongoing Event – Know Your Dairy – Cheese
Ongoing Event – Dish it out – Lentils & Garlic