Last Updated on April 18, 2022 by Chef Mireille
This post may include affiliate links.
Bhutte Ka Kees is a delicious Indian Savory Corn Pudding from the Indian city of Indore. This traditional Street Corn Recipe is one of the most popular Indian Street Food Recipes.
Made with fresh corn, spices and coconut – it is the perfect combination of flavors and one of the best corn recipes when it is in season.
When you get bored of Elotes (Mexican style) and your family says “again?” – here is another delicious Street Corn you can have them try instead!
Madhya Pradesh has been nicknamed the Heart Of India, due to it’s central location. The state is located right in the middle of India. How about trying this delicious street food that represents The Heart Of India!
Happy Passover to all those who celebrate it! While Ashkinazi Jews won’t consume corn during Passover, Sephardic Jewish Law does not prohibit it. Try adding this delicious Indian side dish to your Passover meal for a change!!!
Google has really transformed our lives in so many ways – that it is now a verb. Think about it – when someone asks you a question and you don’t know the answer, what’s the first thing that comes to mind – “I’ll just google it.” Thanks to Google, the world has gotten smaller and we can learn about recipes from around the world. Whether it is by watching you tube videos and seeing this Bhutte Ka Kees – Savory Corn Pudding being prepared on the streets of Indore and researching different recipes for different dishes.
This comes from Malwa cuisine. Malwa is the volcanic upland areas of western Madhya Pradesh and southeastern Rajasthan. The distinct Malwa cuisine is influenced by Maharashtrian, Gujarati and Rajasthani cuisine. The people of this area are mostly vegetarians and eat many grains, particular to the area like tapu. Due to the dry climate of the region, their diet mostly consists of grains and legumes.
This is one of the most popular street food items in Indore, the largest city in Madhya Pradesh.
HOW TO MAKE SAVORY CORN PUDDING
This makes a delicious summer snack, when corn is in season!
Bhutte Ka Kees – Savory Corn Pudding
- 4 corn cobs grated
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut freshly grated (or frozen grated coconut, defrosted)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 green chiles finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger grated
- a pinch of asoefetida
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile pepper cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dessicated coconut
- Grate the corn into a bowl, reserving all the liquid and the corn.
- Heat ghee. Add asoefetida, cumin seed, mustard seed.
- After they start to splutter, add chiles, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, salt, and corn. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add milk and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add lemon juice, cilantro and freshly grated coconut. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- To serve, garnish with cilantro and dessicated coconut.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!