Last Updated on January 12, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Asparagus Pesto Pasta with Roasted Squash is a delicious way to celebrate Meatless Monday with roasted butternut squash and fresh mozzarella.
I love experimenting with different pesto’s Pesto can be made with almost any variety of vegetable, herb or even fruit. So go crazy and try a new varietal pesto today!
This is great to serve on #MeatlessMonday that is sure to please. The asparagus flavor does not really come through strong as it is muted by the herbs and other flavors, so this is a perfect way to sneak extra veggies into your family’s meal and they won’t know the difference.
Here are some other meals you may want to try out for Meatless Monday!
Meatless Monday Recipes
- Spinach Pesto Pasta with Chickpeas
- Chickpea Garlic Pasta
- Lebanese Lentil Pilaf
- Caribbean Almond Spaghetti
- Raisin Paneer Pulao
IN THE MAKING – HOW TO MAKE ASPARAGUS PESTO PASTA
This is such a delicious pasta with all the variety of vegetables utilized.
Sometimes to melt the cheese, I will put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. If you want some gooey melty cheese, you can choose to add this step.
Asparagus Pesto Pasta with Roasted Squash
- Roasted Squash Ingredient
- 1 small butternut squash about 12 oz.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Asparagus Pesto Ingredients:
- 20 stalks asparagus
- a large handful parsley approximately 3/4 cup
- a small handful mint leaves approximately 1/4 cup
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shelled pistachios
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Romano cheese or Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pasta Ingredients:
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 1 chopped tomato
- 13.25 oz. package of shaped pasta
- 6 oz. chopped fresh mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Peel and remove seeds from squash. Cut into bite size pieces and toss with the spices and olive oil. Place in an oven proof dish and roast for 45 - 1 hour minutes, until fork tender.
- While the squash is in the oven, make the pesto.
- Remove the woody ends of the asparagus and cut into thirds.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. Add asparagus and boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to the food processor or blender. Add parsley, mint and garlic. Process well.
- With the processor running, slowly add olive oil until you have a smooth paste like consistency.
- Add pistachios, cheese, salt and pepper. Process well until thoroughly combined.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions in salted water, until al dente.
- Heat a large skillet with the oil. Add onion and cook until the onions change color and start to caramelize. Add tomato, 2/3 cup water and pesto. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add roasted squash, pasta and fresh tomato. Toss well to combine.
- Add mozzarella and adjust salt, if necessary.
- Stir to combine.
Do you know anyone else who likes learning about international food, culture, history and travel? Bring them over here to join the party! Don’t forget to use those share buttons!
Start Here to find out how the Schizo Chef can help you with your cooking, travel and other needs!
If you like this recipe, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT & SUBSCRIBE!