Last Updated on January 12, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Roasted Cauliflower Fattoush
Roasted Cauliflower Fattoush is the Middle East’s answer to Panzanella Salad and this version is fortified with some roasted cauliflower.
My BM theme this week is Lebanese cuisine. Often I go in search of very traditional recipes when I am presenting the foods of different countries. However, I think it’s just as interesting to create simple every day meals, using the flavor profiles of different countries. Once you know the spices and herbs used in the cuisine, you can create any meal around any country.
I took a traditional Middle Eastern salad eaten in Lebanon as well as Syria and Jordan and added a unique twist I am sure the Lebanese people would love and I wouldn’t be surprised if someone in Lebanon has already invented a variation similar to this one. Fattoush is a kind of bread salad popular throughout the Mediterranean. I have already presented the Italian version here.
I had made this huge loaf of Herb & Spice bread flavored with cumin, coriander, anise, cilantro, mint and pink peppercorns. Since the flavor profile is in synch with Middle Eastern cuisine, I subbed the traditional pita bread and used this bread instead. I also fortified the salad with some roasted cauliflower. However, if you’d like to try the more traditional version with pita bread, here is my pita bread recipe.
IN THE MAKING – HOW TO MAKE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER FATTOUSH
This is a delicious and fresh salad that you can make your own creative twists to by adding additional vegetables as you desire.
Even though we are heading into fall soon, let’s keep it healthy by including delicious salads like this as part of your daily diet.
Here are some more salads for more inspiration!
- Apricot Spinach Salad
- Chickpea Pomegranate Spinach Salad
- Beet Carrot Salad
- Mizuna Apple Almond Salad
- Strawberry Fennel Salad
Roasted Cauliflower Fattoush
- Cauliflower Ingredients:
- 4 cups cauliflower broken into large florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crouton Ingredients:
- 4 cups chopped Spice & Herb Bread
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- Salad Ingredients:
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 4 cups chopped lettuce
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 English Cucumber chopped
- 4 scallions
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- Dressing Ingredients:
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Sumac for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine cauliflower, oil, garlic, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Place in a baking dish and roast for 30 minutes, until fork tender but still crisp.
- Combine bread and olive oil. Toss to combine.
- Place on a cookie sheet in a single layer and bake for 30 minutes or until bread is crispy.
- To make the dressing, combine lemon juice, salt and pepper. Whisk well. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking constantly.
- In a large bowl, combine bell pepper, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, scallion, mint and parsley. Toss to combine.
- Add cauliflower and bread. Add salad dressing and toss well.
- To serve, garnish with sumac.