Last Updated on December 14, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Pumpkin Payasam – Indian Pumpkin Vermicelli Pudding – Payasam is an Indian based pudding that can be made with any variety of fruit, vegetable or grain. This pumpkin version is so delicious!
Payasam or Kheer are milk based puddings from India. They can be made with any variety of fruits, vegetables, grains and even lentils. I LOVE puddings. All and every kind of puddings and custards are top on my list – rice pudding, pannacotta, flan – winter or summer, I love the luscious umami of a delicious pudding.
Puddings and Custards
- Mango Flan
- Che Dau Xanh – Vietnamese Mung Bean Pudding
- White Chocolate Panacotta
- Thai Jasmine Coconut Custard
- Champorado – Filipino Chocolate Rice Pudding
- Ube (Purple Yam) Sago Kheer
- Carrot Kheer
- Bajre Ki Kheer – Millet Pudding
- Hugimjajuk – Korean Black Sesame Rice Pudding
IN THE MAKING
Pumpkin Payasam - Indian Pumpkin Vermicelli Pudding
- Combine milk, salt and saffron in a saucepan. Heat milk until very hot, but not boiling on medium heat.
- Add vermicelli and cook on medium heat stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes.
- Add rose water, cardamom and ginger.
- Add pumpkin and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add jaggery or other sweetener. Stir to combine. Leave to chill for at least 10 minutes.
- Add desired garnish.
- Serve warm or cold.
Do you know anyone else who likes learning about international food, culture, history and travel? Bring them over here to join the party! Don’t forget to use those share buttons!
Start Here to find out how the Schizo Chef can help you with your cooking, travel and other needs!
Would you like to check out some more Indian recipes?