Last Updated on December 14, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Papaya Payasam – Indian Papaya Pudding Dessert – this milk based pudding makes a fabulous chilled dessert for summertime!
I am not a big chocolate person. Sure I do like a good slice of chocolate cake like this once in a while, but 90% of the time I’m going to go for the fruit based dessert or the milky and creamy custard type of dessert or pudding.
Kheer in northern India or payasam in southern India are milk based puddings that can be made with any variety of grain, fruit or vegetable. While some are more traditional, in modern times I’ve seen varieties that include everything from quinoa to apple. They are usually on the thinner side, though I sometimes take a bit of artistic license and make it a bit thicker, per my preference. If you prefer the thinner type of kheer, feel free to add more milk as desired.
This week I am going to be showing you one of each – fruit based, veggie based and grain based.
Want to get a look at some of the other kheer/payasam I’ve prepared in the past?
- Watermelon Pith Kheer – a no waste version using the white part of the watermelon. Definitely a great use to avoid food waste.
- Watermelon Kheer
- Bajre Ki Kheer – (Millet) Kheer
- Ube (Purple Yam) Sago Kheer
- Pumpkin Vermicelli Payasam
- Paneer Payasam
Want to make it Vegan? Use coconut milk instead!
We are going to start with a fruit based kheer today!
These chilled kheer desserts are cooling on hot summer days!
Nice and creamy – if you are a pudding person – you will love this version!
Papaya Payasam – Indian Papaya Pudding Dessert
- In a blender, puree the papaya with 1 cup of the milk.
- Transfer to a saucepan.
- Add the remaining milk and saffron syrup. Bring to a boil.
- Add sugar and cardamom. Cook on a high simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add khoya and cook another 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool and chill in the refrigerator.
- To serve, garnish with nuts.
If you like this recipe, PLEASE SUBSCRIBE & LEAVE A COMMENT!
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!