Last Updated on June 1, 2015 by Chef Mireille
Pirozhky can be stuffed with either sweet or savory fillings. Berry for sweet ones and cabbage for savory ones are the most popular fillings. However, using inspiration from Russian cooking, these are filled with apple, bacon and cheese. This filling is sweet and savory at the same time for a really delicious complex flavored piroshki.
- dry active yeast
- all purpose flour
- ground cinnamon
- dried chives
- ground paprika
- grated cheese (I used Fontina)
How to Make Russian Pirozhki
- Put together the bread dough.
- Let it rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- While it is rising, make the filling with bacon, apples, cheese and spices.
- Divide the dough into 16 pieces.
- Roll out the pastry and stuff them.
- Let the stuffed rolls rest for another 30 minutes.
- Bake for 40 minutes in a 350 F oven.
It’s best to cook the buns in 2 pans so they have room to spread without getting stuck together. However, if you squeeze them together in one pan as I did, carefully cut them apart with a sharp knife.
These buns have a palate tempting flavor profile – both sweet and savory at the same time! All stuffed inside an incredibly soft bread roll!
These make a delicious breakfast or tea time snack.
- Heat milk. Transfer 1/2 cup of the milk to a bowl. Add sugar and stir. Sprinkle yeast on top. Let it rest until yeast becomes foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine proofed yeast with the rest of the milk, butter, salt and egg. Whisk with 1 cup of the flour. Add 2 more cups of flour and knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic, adding up to an additional 1/2 cup of flour as necessary.
- Transfer to a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap sprayed with non stick spray and a kitchen towel. Leave to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the filling.
- In a skillet, fry the bacon until it starts to brown.
- Add onions and cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes, until they start to change color and caramelize. Add apples and spices. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add cheese. Stir to combine until cheese is melted.
- Spray a baking tray with non stick spray.
- Divide the dough in half.
- On a lightly floured board, roll out half the dough into a rectangle, Using a pizza cutter, divide into 8 pieces. Put a little filling in the middle of each piece.
- Roll up like a burrito, folding in the edges as your roll. Pull some dough around the sides so that it is well sealed all around. Place seam side down on baking tray. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Brush with egg wash. Bake for 40 minutes, Leave to cool.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!