Last Updated on January 12, 2020 by Chef Mireille
Herbed French Toast with Artichoke Sauce & Grilled Asparagus – This savory French Toast makes a healthy breakfast option.
Before I get to today’s post, I want to extend my heartfelt condolences and prayers to all the families of the victims in this morning’s terrorist attack in Orlando. This is the largest attack us in the United States have experienced and we all feel for them. Let this horrible tragedy serve a good to unite us in empathy and not divide us!
now on a lighter note…
Yesterday, I was watching a commercial for IHOP advertising it’s new Tropical Breakfasts consisting of waffles loaded with fruit and things like caramel sauce…not to mention the syrup. It looked more like dessert than breakfast to me. I looked at the television and just envisioned the dial on the scale going up if I ever thought of indulging in something so rich and decadent to start the day with. Not to mention I would be crashing just a few hours later after the sugar high ended. Instead I went to my Reader’s Digest Low Calorie Cookbook and tried this savory French Toast for a lighter breakfast. I only made a few minor adjustments and served it with a yummy sauce that adds some calories, but still no where near the IHOP dessert breakfast. Although the book served it with broiled mushrooms and Canadian bacon, grilled asparagus works just as well.
How to make Herbed French Toast with Artichoke Sauce & Grilled Asparagus
A delicious savory breakfast!
This breakfast is herbaceous and flavorful. The pea shoots compliment the flavors well with their minty and peppery flavor. Even with the rich and creamy sauce, you won’t feel like you need a nap after eating this meal.
Herbed French Toast with Artichoke Sauce
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- oil for frying
- 6 bread halves
- Sauce Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup artichoke dip
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Asparagus Ingredients:
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish Ingredients:
- mint sprigs
- sweet pea shoots
- In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, parsley, mint, tarragon, paprika and salt. Whisk well.
- Using a good quality wheat bread, cut bread slices in half diagonally.
- Heat a little oil in a skillet, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
- One at a time, dip the bread slices in the egg mixture. Make sure it is well coated on both sides. Place in the skillet and fry 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Toss asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Use a grill pan or a grill if you have and grill asparagus until crisp tender.
- To make sauce, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- To serve, garnish with mint and pea shoots.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!