Last Updated on January 10, 2020 by Chef Mireille
With this Greek Herb & Cheese Flatbread, no one will ever think of Meatless Monday as boring. The dough can be made in advance, so then it’s just to add some delicious toppings and bake or grill it.
Looking for a delicious and interesting way to transform your holiday leftovers? How about putting them on top of a delicious flatbread? I used some broccoli on this flatbread, but maybe you have some leftovers roasted or sauteed mushrooms. Any vegetable like bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, spinach can be used instead of the broccoli and tomatoes in this recipe.
Once you have the base dough made, then this comes together quite easily.
In my cold winter apartment, the dough took about 2 hours to rise, but it may take less depending on the climate where you live.
Want to make it a complete meal and add a Greek dessert to compliment this Greek flatbread for dinner? Here are some Greek desserts you might want to check out!
- Galaktoboureko – Greek Semolina Cake
- Koularakia – Greek Butter Cookies
- Kourambiedes – Greek Almond Cookies
The Flatbread Dough
The dough can be made in advance. You can put the dough together and then put in the refrigerator for a slow overnight rise. Then just bring to to room temperature and then use normally.
This flatbread can also be cooked on a grill, instead of the oven.
HOW TO MAKE GREEK FLATBREAD
It can be cut into small pieces to serve at parties.
However, this is so delicious, you may not want to share!
Greek Herb Cheese Flatbread
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon alleppo pepper
- 1 sliced tomato
- 2/3 cup chopped cooked broccoli or other vegetable
- 6 oz. chopped manouri cheese or halloumi
- Sliced olives optional
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, yogurt and oil.
- In a shallow bowl, combine warm water with sugar and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle yeast on top and leave for a few minutes, until it becomes foamy.
- Add to flour and knead for 5-10 minutes until you have a dough that is smooth and elastic.
- Place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, up to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Sprinkle a little semolina or cornmeal on a cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the parsley and mint and stir to combine.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough to a 7-8”” oval
- Brush the top with olive oil.
- Sprinkle alleppo pepper on top.
- Sprinkle with chopped herbs.
- Add sliced tomatoes on top.
- Sprinkle broccoli on top.
- Add manouri on top.
- Transfer to prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
- Slice and serve.
- You can use halloumi cheese, manouri or feta cheese. If you would prefer more of a melted cheese closer to pizza, but still keeping it Greek, use grated Kasseri cheese.
- You can use any leftover veggies as toppings for this flatbread.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!
Am ready to finish my dinner with this incredible greek herb cheese flatbread. How cheesy and absolutely irresistible its looks. Cant take my eyes from those flatbreads.
it was so delicious – you should definitely make it for your dinner this week!
What a beautiful flatbread ! I love the way you have dressed it , those pomegranate pearls are making it irresistible , I feel like grabbing it from the screen . Excellent cheesy bread , Mir !
thank you – the pomegranate go with the Greek theme and are delicious also!
This is a beautiful bread Mir. I love how you have added pomegranate pearls to give it a festive look. With all the vegetables and cheese, this would make a filling meal.
yes festive and delicious!
Love the pomegranate and the broccoli together! What a great way to use up some leftover veggies in the fridge and make them interesting in a new way!
thank you – yes it’s a great way to clean out the refrigerator
What a good idea to use your leftovers; there always seems to be something in the fridge that could be used.
exactly you could customize it with whatever you have
This flatbread looks amazing! I love the toppings or just on it’s own – flatbread is YUM!
thank you – yes the flatbread base is very customizable
This is my ideal recipe–easy to whip up, but so flexible and flavorful! Thanks for the inspiration!
your welcome and sure you will love it when you try it!
We always have a ton of food left over I love this collection of ideas of what to do with them!
now you have a new way to transform your leftovers 🙂
Love Greek food, love flatbread! This looks beyond delicious!! Have to make this recipe for sure!
I am sure you will love it when you do.
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth
That bread is such a mouthful! Amazing with all those toppings…
thank you – yes piled on toppings – it’s a perfect dinner!
This will surely make a hearty meal Mir. Fantastic idea..
thank you – yes and it;s great for parties as well, cutting them into small slices
Lot of ways to finish out leftovers! Thank u for sharing such a useful one.
yes you can add almost anything into this combination
Beautiful flatbread. I love all the flavors of the ingredients you have used. This would make a tasty meal.
thank you and yes it is a super delish and customizable option for dinner
I love this loaded flatbread recipe. Flatbread sounds easy to make and the toppings are so colorful and yummy.
yes and you can easily adjust the toppings as you wish
Beautiful bread, with all the herbs it sounds so rich in flavors!! with all these toppings it is perfect to go with some hot tomato based soup for our family..
what a great idea to pair it with tomato soup
This greek cheese flatbread looks simply yum. so perfectly baked and delicious.
thank you – yes it makes a great dinner!
loved the topping, the idea of using a flatbread– the topping ideas must be so endless and I love everything that went here.. prefect for party or potlucks, this would shine through…
thank you – yes it can be made with so many variations of different toppings
Wow mir, what a delicious transformation of leftovers, love the loaded flatbread, those pomo pearls on top, adds a striking contrast! pleasing plate to the eyes too!!
yes leftovers are reimagined with this flatbread
That is one loaded and flavorful flatbread. Pomegranate adds a lovely splash of color.
yes and it also adds a great variety of flavor!
When the bread is looking so inviting, I can very well imagine how tasty it would be. and the best part is it is customizable according to the greens available
yes you can use whatever leftover vegetables you have about