Last Updated on November 13, 2019 by Chef Mireille
Today starts Bake-a-Thon. This is my second time participating in this annual event where three days a week other bloggers and myself post a recipe that was baked in the oven, either sweet or savory. So come back here every Monday, Wednesay and Friday for the entire month of December to check out what baked delicacy I’ve cooked up. Today I’m starting with a Banana Cake with Ganache Pebble Decor.
I have basic aptitude when it comes to baking. I’ve learned how to work with yeast and sourdough starter’s to bake all kinds of yeast breads from rich holiday breads like Houska to basic sandwich breads like this Walnut Wheat Bread or this Everything Bread. I can whip up cakes, muffins, cookies, scones and pies.
Decorating, on the other hand is a totally different ballgame and is truly an art form. I am no decorator. You want me to make a chocolate cake – sure, no problem. I’ve even managed to adapt cake recipes to Vegetarian diets, making them eggless. However, ask me to decorate a cake for you and the butterflies in the stomach start and I think oh Lord, what can I possibly due to make this cake look presentable? One new ingredient on the market has made this a surprisingly easy task. Chocolate rock candy used to only be available at specialty candy shops, but now I notice them everywhere. All of my local supermarkets now have this available in the baking aisle. Not only are they an easy decorating tool, but they also taste great – just like M&M’s.
A whole grain, super soft and moist banana cake covered with M&M tasting candies. This cake makes everyone happy. You wont feel too guilty by providing your family with a whole grain fruit based cake and the kids will love it with all the chocolate and candy – the best of both worlds!
Banana Cake with Ganache Pebble Decor
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2016
[inlinkz_linkup id=680533 mode=1]
Banana Cake with Ganache Pebble Decor
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoons ½baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 very ripe bananas)
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Decorating Ingredients:
- 1 recipe ganache See notes for recipe link
- 1/2 cup chocolate pebble candy Use more or less as desired
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 10” springform cake pan or a 13” sheet pan with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, combine the bananas and yogurt and mix to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and mix until light and creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add banana-yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Add flour in two batches, mixing well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared cake pan. Bake for 1 hour, until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- To decorate, make chocolate ganache recipe and frost cake. See notes for ganache recipe link.
- Sprinkle chocolate pebble candy on top. Decorating done!!!
That cake looks great with the pebble decor Mir. I too am a bit hesitant when it comes to cake decoration and turn to such things to make the cake look nice 🙂
Yes I rely on these decorating hacks to make decorating easy
it’s a quick and easy way to decorate a cake
That cake looks stunning Mir..with those pebbles on top, it sure a winner!
Pebbles look wonderful on the cake . Soon after our trip to China town last year, I found these pebbles at TJ Max,x of all the places!
Sharmila- The Happie Friends Potpourri Corner
Pebbles look awesome on the Cake.. Lovely Share!!
thanks – yes its now my go to decorating hack 🙂
Those pebble candy gives an attractive look to this banana cake, looks marvellous.
The cake looks super moist Mir. Wish I could get those chocolate pebbles here. They look so cute..
yes its a great way for easy decorating!
Love those chocolate pebbles on a lovely cake Mir..
thanks – a quick way to add some pazazz to a cake 🙂
Cake looks gorgeous with those pebble decoration.
That is a moist and delicious banana bread MIr. Love the chocolate ganache on top and those chocolate pebbles do make great decoration.
Im always in for quick and easy decorating 🙂
Looks stunning Mir, i m planning to pick a pack or two in my next shopping!!!