Last Updated on August 30, 2021 by Chef Mireille
Banana Blueberry Multi Grain Pancakes are made with 100% whole grains. Delicious and healthy for breakfast or weekend brunch.
Although I have jumped onto the sourdough train make everything with my sourdough starter including pancakes and waffles, not everyone has the patience for sourdough or always has the time. So here is a pancake recipe that is 100% whole grain and full of delicious spices. Filled with both bananas and blueberries, this is a healthy whole grain pancake that’s a fiber filled way to start the day.
Because of the high sugar content in syrup that we usually eat pancakes with, they often get a bad rap. However, compared to many common American breakfast items, pancakes are a relatively healthy option, especially made this way with whole grains and lots of fruit.
It is not necessary to look for quinoa flour in the supermarket. I made my own by simply buzzing whole quinoa in the blender. Then pass it through a sieve just in case a few remained whole and you have quinoa flour.
IN THE MAKING – HOW TO MAKE BANANA BLUEBERRY MULTI GRAIN PANCAKES
Who can resist a bite?
Banana Blueberry Multi-Grain Pancakes
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 very ripe mashed bananas
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/3 cup blueberries
- In a large bowl, combine flax seed, flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, mace and sugar.
- In a small bowl, beat egg. Add vanilla and bananas. Mix well. Add buttermilk. Whisk well until thoroughly combined.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in blueberries.
- Heat a skillet and spray with non stick spray. Use about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake and cook on medium heat until golden brown on both sides. Place on paper towel lined plate to absorb any excess grease.
- Serve with syrup and butter, if desired.
Don’t bananas and blueberries make such an awesome combination? Try these Banana Blueberry Crepes. They also are a fabulous option for a weekend brunch menu!
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!