Last Updated on December 14, 2020 by Chef Mireille
This South Indian Coconut Fish Curry is a Mangalore style curry that can also be made with chicken. Pineapple and tamarind combine to make a tangy curry with just the right amount of spice.
This Coconut Curry uses dessicated coconut, instead of fresh coconut or coconut milk. The toasted coconut gives a smoky sweetness to the curry.
Mangalore is a port city located on the western coast of southern India in the state of Karnataka. It has a tropical climate. Due to its coastal location, fish is a major part of Mangalorean cuisine, along with coconut.
If you love seafood and coconut, you will want to go exploring into the cuisine of Karnataka. Check out this Karnataka Thali for more Karnataka Recipes to try!
Let’s see what you will need to make this delicious Fish Curry.
Ingredients for Coconut Fish Curry
- red chile pepper
- palm sugar (or jaggery)
- salt to taste
- sesame seeds
- fenugreek seeds
- dessicated coconut
- oil or ghee
- mustard seeds
- curry leaves
How to make Coconut Fish Curry
- Make a spice powder with coconut, sesame seeds and fenugreek.
- Simmer fish with pineapple puree, tamarind and spices.
- Make a tadka with curry leaves and mustard seeds.
- Add to curry.
Serve with steamed Basmati rice.
Coconut Fish Curry with Pineapple
- 2 1/2 pounds tilapia fish fillets cut into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 pineapple peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile pepper cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 7 curry leaves
- In a dry skillet, roast sesame seeds, fenugreek seeds and coconut for a few minutes, until golden.
- Cool for a few minutes and then grind to a powder.
- Pour boiling water over tamarind and let sit for 15 minutes. Strain, squeezing out all of the water from the tamarind.
- In a large skillet, combine the pineapple puree with the chile, turmeric, sugar, salt and ground sesame seed etc. mix. Bring to a boil. Add fish pieces and simmer until fish is cooked, about 5 minutes.
- In a small skillet, heat oil and add mustard seeds. Once mustard seeds start to pop, add curry leaves 1-2 minutes. Add this to curry and adjust salt, if necessary.
Need more culinary inspiration? Check out the Recipe Index with over 1500 Recipes from Around the World with lots of Vegetarian 🥕🍆🍅and Gluten Free Recipes!